Proper Golf

Monday, January 31, 2011

Dream Foursome

If I could comprise my dream foursome of any living "golf" people, including myself, here is who I would tee it up with.

Location- Since I have yet to play NGLA, the most historic course in the country, Ballyneal, a Doak design and home to the most fun ground contours I have played
would be a dream host

1. Bubba Watson - Easily recognizable with his large visor and pink shafts, Bubba is known mostly as the longest player on tour. One thing makes the hard swinging lefty a little different though, Bubba has never come across an impossible shot. Even known to draw the attention of Tiger Woods, there is no player in the game today who can make the ball curve further in either direction. Can you imagine what his shot selection is like when fun is on the line rather than a paycheck? I normally would never pick a lefty because I hate watching the backwards swing, but Bubba would be the ultimate partner at a place like Ballyneal.

2. Tiger Woods - Anyone who wouldn't include the most dominating figure in the history golf is a fool. Plus if Bubba is hitting 330 yard drives with 60 yards of right/left around sand dunes, Tiger might feel a little inspired to be creative. Tiger Woods Dubai golf course just halted construction today, its always interesting to hear him speak about architecture, he is always quoted as saying The Old Course is his all time favorite.

3. Tom Doak - A very difficult choice in the final spot, I wanted a representative from the golf course industry. Pete Dye in the past has been the face of architecture, certainly is an interesting character, and is no doubt one of the biggest influences on the modern game. Bill Coore or Ben Crenshaw would be great as co-designers of the #1 modern course and designers one of my personal favorites Friars Head. I've decided on Mr. Doak because I think his book The Anatomy of Golf Courses is the best of its kind on the subject. The opportunity to play with Mr. Doak on any of his courses is unforgettable, I still can account for most of shots I hit during my 10 preview holes at Old Macdonald, Oregon with him.

4. Myself


Alternate list:
1. Ben Crenshaw
2. Pete Dye
3. Geoff Ogilvy - If you haven't seen some of his quotes about architecture, search google.

No comments:

Post a Comment