Proper Golf

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bad Golf Course Architecture


I found this image while scrolling around Hainan Island, China, where the worlds biggest/only golf boom is going on. Although I will not give out the name of the course, it may be the worst example of golf course architecture I have ever seen.

Upon closer examination its pretty clear this is holes #9 and #18, as you can see the placement of the clubhouse just beyond both greens and how they both play the same direction. Now we have all played holes that people claim as gimmicky, and condemned even some of our favorite designers for doing silly things, but I think this mirrored excuse for 2 golf holes, around irrigation ponds, and super tight wiggly bunkers takes the cake. Having two holes play in such a manor does not create any sort of interest in playability, strategy or aesthetics, but instead a poor exercise in landscaping. I understand that the two holes play to opposite ball flights, one a draw and the other a fade, but considering how close the two are and the fact that nothing visually separates them, it seems if they probably appear the same from the tee, offering no variety; the biggest sin in golf course architecture as far as I'm concerned. No attempt to at least pretend like it mimics nature in any of its features or shapes... When I see stuff like this it makes me want to puke!

No comments:

Post a Comment